Monday, February 11, 2008

The "Plavix Rebound" Phenomenon

 

In monitoring 3137 patients who received Plavix after being treated for ACS, the authors of this new study say that the patients' chance of having a heart attack or dying was nearly twice as high during the 90 days after Plavix was stopped, than it was after this 90-day interval. They speculate that perhaps tapering Plavix instead of stopping it abruptly, or perhaps increasing the dose of aspirin during the first 90 days after stopping Plavix, may help to reduce this rebound effect - but of course, more studies will need to be done to see whether either of these strategies are effective

The "Plavix Rebound" Phenomenon

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

copeland said...

plavix for about 2 wks since triple bypass surgery, should I expect this rebound after such a short duration of the med? Should I be lowering my dose as I finish my last two weeks? My cardiac surgeon only gives his bypass patients a 1 month course of plavix